August 7, 2009

Our darkest fears now haunt us


Last night my band played a show at De Piratenbar in Scheveningen, right on the waterfront. Reason for the show was the only Dutch date on Born/Dead's 2009 European tour. And what a great show it was! I had seen the band several times on their previous European tour and during the year that I was living in Bay Area (where the band's from). And even though I've always enjoyed the band's music, both live and recorded, I sort of forgot how truly great they are and considered them 'just a good band' you know? Well, last night they completely blew everyone away and they made me remember how great punk can be.


For their tour Prank records rereleased the band's first 7", which was my first introduction to the band and I still consider one of their best records. Born/Dead play raw punk that draws on hardcore, crust and peace-punk traditions. They always reminded me of bands like Econochrist and Talk is Poison in both the darkness and intensity of their sound. Also, check out last year's The Final Collapse Lp that they have with them on tour, and go see them live; seriously.

They're still playing Spain, France, Portugal, the U.K., Switserland and Germany. If you don't have the chance to see them live, check out the video below from 2006.

No comments: